Sunday, 27th March 2016
Rev. Daniel Poon
Today is a very special day as it’s the Easter Sunday, and also the baptism of our new sisters. Therefore Rev. Daniel shared with us the symbol of blessings – the true meaning of baptism.
- It represents the death and resurrection of Jesus (I Corinthians 15:3-4, Colossians 2:12) – Jesus Christ died for us on the cross, and He was raised up on the third day; therefore when we are baptized, we tell God that we will die like Jesus Christ, let go of our past and old self, and when we come up from the water, we are resurrected with Jesus, and become a new person.
- It indicates the unity with Jesus’ death (II Corinthians 5:17, Romans 6:4) – when we merged in the water, we died together with Jesus, and our sins are also put to death because Jesus died for us first; so we will no longer live a sinful life, but a life of blessings and eternal joy.
Rev. Daniel also shared with us the reasons behind getting baptized.
- Follow the example of Jesus (Mark 1:9) – the Bible tells us that even Jesus, the Son of God, was baptized by John, because He wants to be the example and lets us know the importance of getting baptized.
- Follow the command of Jesus (Matthew 28:19-20) – not only Jesus showed us an example, He also commands us to go out and baptize people in His name.
After we are baptized, we also become part of the family in Christ, and as a family member, we should all commit to our church, because of the following truth:
- Church is a family
- God expects you to be a member of this church family
- A Christian without a church family is a spiritual orphan