Sunday, 28th December 2014
Rev. Daniel Poon
In Luke 5:17-26, it talks about the story of the paralyzed man, who could not walk and was not able to come to Jesus by himself. Due to the large number of crowd coming to Jesus, the friends of the paralyzed man decided to open the rooftop and lower the man down from roof, right in front of Jesus. When Jesus saw this, He immediately healed the man and the paralyzed man stood up and walked! The crowd was amazed and said “We have seen remarkable things today”.
This is the fruit of faith, and it CAN BE EXPERIENCED in our everyday life. But how?
1. Must Be Seen – actions must be taken to bear the fruit of faith, and the result is something everyone can see.
“One day Jesus was teaching, and Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting there. They had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was with Jesus to heal the sick. Some men came carrying a paralyzed man on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus.” (Luke 5:17-18)
2. Must Persist – sometime we may not see the fruits straight away, and we might not even feel it at all! But as long as persist, never give up, and do our best, God will show us His best miracles!
“When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus.” (Luke 5:19)
3. Must Require Sacrifice – everything requires sacrifice, sometimes it’s our time, money or effort, but it’s all about our attitude towards God, and how much we believe in Him. When we are willing to give our all to God, He will not let us down.
Also, the fruit of faith CAN BE RECOGNISED.
1. By Ourselves – we will feel the changes in us and our lives, when we are bearing the fruits for God; it’s a wonderful feeling and we don’t need to promote ourselves, it will be apparent to us and to others that we are blessed by God.
“Immediately he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God.” (Luke 5:25)
2. By Others – others will see it when we bear the fruits from our faith; we will see people’s reactions to our changes and hear their feedback; it will be a great opportunity to testify for God!
“Everyone was amazed and gave praise to God. They were filled with awe and said, “We have seen remarkable things today.”” (Luke 5:26)